../index.php?sid=cacd364b5580c6852908fa3bd6124948 DavesBJJ Forum Index FAQ Register Log in
Calendar
Calendar Calendar
Wed 26 Jul 2017 Thu 27 Jul 2017 Fri 28 Jul 2017 Sat 29 Jul 2017 Sun 30 Jul 2017 Mon 31 Jul 2017 Tue 01 Aug 2017

Pressure Points

Post new topic      Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    DavesBJJ Forum Index » Kung Fu
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aka wadjala wabbit
Orange with 2 Green tips
Orange with 2 Green tips

PostPosted: 18 Oct 2006 05:25    Post subject: Pressure Points Reply with quote

Whats your opinion on pressure points?
Do they all work,or just some or none at all?
Has anybody experienced being struck in a pressure point?

I have an old US army training manual which lists all the pressure points and what effect it would/could/should have.Wondering why the army would teach something that 99% of people on mma forums reckon are a waste of time.I dont take there opinions at face value because the same people write off all traditional martial arts as a waste of time,which I think is a very narrow minded view.
I'm also thinking of starting wing chun,so any views on that would be aappreciated aswell.
Ta

Purple
Purple

PostPosted: 18 Oct 2006 08:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

the best i can offer is bullshido.com have a look there

a couple of year back they went to see a guy who did the pressure points and zen punch or something like that in most situations they didnt work and the zen punch took like an hour or something like that to get ready for and then didnt work at all

Animal
Black 4th Dan
Black 4th Dan

Club: the Academy

PostPosted: 18 Oct 2006 23:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

pressure we use all the time in bbj

inside knee legs pop open that a pressure point

no and arm bar is not

knee ride to solar plexus pressure point

there is a bunch on the forearm used in like self defence not trying to hit one just did

pressure points yes, take a lot of training but in afight need to pin point accurately hit them, with the right force in the right spot hard to do many spots is about the 14 of the size of a 5 cent piece, and each person the pressure point though in general area needs to be found

good one hell of palm to forehead between eyes and only works with heel of palm not fist

dont ask me as george dillman black dragons pressure point expert
see some footage of him knocking out guys fights and someone said you cant do it with boxing love on but
he don a set, danced around sparring style not static and still managed to hit points

when a box is knock out that is usually a button or pressure point

Black 3rd Dan
Black 3rd Dan

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2006 07:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a coach from Hakarack (spelling) Boxing come into the club to do a few lessons with me...basically he asked how effective grappling was against an 'anything goes' situation. - lets test it out...

in a nut shell, he went for my eyes with a grope and ended in a double armbar way before he even managed to get close....
Went for a 'nut grab' and ended up in a triangle...... biting me ended up in a head/arm choke.....

pending on how pain tollerant the opponent is and the position that you are applying the attack from has a great balance on its effectiveness especially with p/p

www.mixedmartialarts.com.au
www.bjjwa.com
Animal
Black 4th Dan
Black 4th Dan

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2006 22:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

it like landing a punch you have to be in position, be fast enougha nd land on target

however might work by combining art say punch and kick and grapple bang ge tand opportunity hit a pressure point as a surpose to just trying for pressure point straight away

White
White

Club: Perth WC, GMK
Styles: GMK, Chen Tai Chi, Wing Chun

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2009 08:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im adding to very old threads, but heck, they are all new to me.
I went to an ozzie MA expo couple of years ago and did a pressure point workshop with some 9th dan kempo dude doing a demonstration with pressure points. Looked cool, he demonstrated one on me but it wasn't a "lights out" one. I just lost control of my legs. I do find it interesting, but given a life threatening situation why mess around trying to hit a small point on the body if you can get to the big obvious pressure point...the head Thats Nice

Couch Potato
Green with 1 Blue tip
Green with 1 Blue tip

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2009 12:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum

A martial art expo?? how long ago was that. It'd be good to go to one of those.

Interesting comment about pressure points you made. i thought security and police etc learnt pressure points because you can control without harm but i see your point, the larger the target the more chance of success

Yin Yang
Animal
Black 4th Dan
Black 4th Dan

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2009 20:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

not been one in wa as far as i know

Orange with 2 Green tips
Orange with 2 Green tips

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2009 16:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sidia have you ever had to use a pressur point. Im guessing you cant use them in comps so they're really a self defence thing, yeah?

Sidai
White
White

Club: Perth WC, GMK
Styles: GMK, Chen Tai Chi, Wing Chun

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2009 11:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lads,
Sorry for the delay replying.
I haven't done any pressure point training other than that workshop I participated in...but hardly what Id call proper training. My Si Fu would not teach pressure point stuff as he believed they should be taught how to heal (TCM) before how to injure....we just never got around to learning how to use/undertstand them in traditional chinese medicine. I got a bunch of thoughts around that myself...I totally understand the heal before hurt philosophy but I feel I should be aware of points in the body that could inflict more internal damage than just a cut or a break. For example, certain fist types are used to strike pressure points. A favoured technique I would employ in a real life confrontation would be one of these fists striking to the throat..personally I would still err from really trying to hurt my oponent and strike to the side of the windpipe but then I discovered there is an important pressure point around that area. So I would say there is an argument to know about these points in order to be a responsible MAist.
Anyway all hot air and wind, Im starting to talk away from what I do know.

Iceman, I wouldn't say they are self defence. It is a style of striking in a traditional martial arts context (fighting for your life) which doesn't fit in competition because of the potential injury. There's a greater chance of a nastier injury because it's striking areas of the body that effect the nervous system.

I had it explained to in an interesting analogy in relation to striking for the head..if you are trying to shut an airport down why take down the planes 1 by 1 when you can take out the control tower bahahahaha

Martial Arts Expo started a few years ago...Im guessing but I think it was 2005 or 2006 for the first one which I went along to. It was on the Gold Coast.
You should be able to find something on the net, it was titled something like AMI Supershow (AMI=Australian Martial Arts Industry)

Animal
Black 4th Dan
Black 4th Dan

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2009 20:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes you can use pressure point in a comp
you need to apply pressure not strike

there is on on the insid eof the leg that we use to open legs in guard
knee across leg hit pressure points make your opponent squirm
even someon the forearm, upper arm and under the arm

and htere are some you cant use why because you can only use them be strikeing precise spot

and i would use very few for self defence
look at cqc, krav maga and kappap
very few pressure points used and this is the stuff you teach soldiers, law enforcement and personal protection

yes it can be done
take s a lot of training

Post new topic      Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    DavesBJJ Forum Index » Kung Fu All times are UTC + 8 hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: