../index.php?sid=2d871a37d7befe82cff67f692f20957f DavesBJJ Forum Index FAQ Register Log in
Calendar
Calendar Calendar
Thu 21 Sep 2017 Fri 22 Sep 2017 Sat 23 Sep 2017 Sun 24 Sep 2017 Mon 25 Sep 2017 Tue 26 Sep 2017 Wed 27 Sep 2017

A TDK STUDENT AND A MUAY THAI STUDENT?

Post new topic      Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    DavesBJJ Forum Index » Tae Kwon Do
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HAPPY JACK
Green with 2 Blue tips
Green with 2 Blue tips

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2003 15:19    Post subject: A TDK STUDENT AND A MUAY THAI STUDENT? Reply with quote

IF A TDK STUDENT AND A MUAY THAI STARTED AT THE SAME TIME,
WOULD THEY STILL BE ON AN EVEN PLAYING FIELD AFTER 6 MONTHS OF SOLID TRAINING Question

WHO WOULD FARE THE BEST IN A COMBAT SITUATION:?:

divbizero
Orange with 2 Green tips
Orange with 2 Green tips

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2003 09:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well lets see

In TKD we would be exploring a couple of elementry KATA, oh sorry patterns, and developing some flexability and timing. we have probably participated in a few technical sparring exercises and probably have a korean flag in our room at home.

In muay thai we have probably covered the dynamics of the simple punches kicks elbows and knees. done a fair bit of work on the clinch. a whole bucket load on delivery with thai pads and heavy bags. Not to mention we have proably been "in the ring" so to speak.

We may need a crystal ball for this one Laughing

HAPPY JACK
Green with 2 Blue tips
Green with 2 Blue tips

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2003 10:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found a web site i thought you might like.
I have pasted a link.When there check out the clip
MUAY THAI vs TKD its a good one.
http://www.mcdojo.com/dl_popular.asp

Last edited by HAPPY JACK on 07 Aug 2003 10:34; edited 1 time in total
divbizero
Orange with 2 Green tips
Orange with 2 Green tips

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2003 10:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

pardon??

HAPPY JACK
Green with 2 Blue tips
Green with 2 Blue tips

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2003 10:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have put a link in my new post under A TDK STUDENT AND A MUAY THAI STUDENT? Cick on the link and have a look.

Arecsa
Blue
Blue

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2003 12:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

6 solid months of Muay Thai vs 6 solid months of TKD. Again, not to put down another art, but damn. This would be nasty, the TKD fighter would be in worlds of hurt.

Divbizero broke it down, it just wouldnt be a close/fair fight.

I have a clip from a TKD tournament where its M.T vs TKD. I'm not sure if its the one you linked but it consists of the TKD fighter constantly getting knocked down by kicks to the leg and body, and one to the head.

Orange with 2 Green tips
Orange with 2 Green tips

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2003 14:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I agree totally, and look its no offence ment to TKD stylists, its just that economically speaking the first six months of Muay Thai will prepare the individual far better for a pitched battle.

TDK is great an you get heaps of other stuff with it, like the patterns and codes, the flexability and all the other martial spirit stuff....but. This does not translate directly to combat potential.

Iron Monkey
Beginner

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2004 01:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will also have to say Muay Thai would win In a combat situation.
my reasons are because the majority of TKD clubs teach TKD as a Sport first then a Martial Art and the Sport is Generally WTF TKD and WTF gives the TKD fighter bad habits such as no guard. jumping around too much,Bad blocking habits and too many fancy kicks and footwork, although if it was an ITF TKD fighter vs a Muay Thai Fighter it would be more interesting but it would still go to Thai Fighter simply because they utilize more weapons i.e. the knees, elbows, the Clinch.
where as TKD focuses on kicking as fast as possible and making it look clean
so that they may get a score.
but If the TKD fighter was trained for real Combat and not just sport, then they could have good combat potential

Orange
Orange

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2004 06:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having done a bit of TKD,and many moons ago,I did 1 Thai class at the Academy(I was going to join up,but family reasons stopped me making the commitment),I'd go Thai any day.The first 6 months of TKD,you would be taught the first 2 patterns,basic punches,and prob,front kick,side kick and turning kick.Maybe a couple basic wrist grabs and one step sparring techs.If your lucky you might get to hit and kick a pad for a couple of mins per lesson(most punch and kicks are done to nothing).
There are some good TKD guys out there that prob could do ok,but they are few and far between.

Black 3rd Dan
Black 3rd Dan

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2004 09:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would have to say that the TKD student would have little hope of winning, especially if the trainers in both styles stick to the way that each style is supposed to be taught.
Muay Thai would have had at least 1-2 fights in the first 6 months (if it is taught the traditional way) and have shins like baseball bats...ouch!!

Muay Thai is called the toughest sport on earth for a very good reason, and I feel that you should train in at least 1 session of each to get a good indication of what you feel would be best

www.mixedmartialarts.com.au
www.bjjwa.com
Sea Tea
Brown
Brown

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2009 14:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

it depends on whether you want to compare styles or students.
there's enough replies suporting Muay thai and style for style that's probaly the case. But it would have to come down to the student.
The Muay thai student may not learn as quick or be able to apply muay thai technique as well as the TKD student.
So in a combative situation it would come down to who could apply their techniques and learnings better.

The journey is the reward
Post new topic      Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    DavesBJJ Forum Index » Tae Kwon Do All times are UTC + 8 hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: