../index.php?sid=f83c24c1153b8757a73d5551adb6cd1c DavesBJJ Forum Index FAQ Register Log in
Calendar
Calendar Calendar
Wed 22 Nov 2017 Thu 23 Nov 2017 Fri 24 Nov 2017 Sat 25 Nov 2017 Sun 26 Nov 2017 Mon 27 Nov 2017 Tue 28 Nov 2017

rolling with someone whose injured

Post new topic      Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    DavesBJJ Forum Index » BJJ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Earl
Blue with 2 Purple tips
Blue with 2 Purple tips

PostPosted: 16 Oct 2010 22:12    Post subject: rolling with someone whose injured Reply with quote

rolling today with a friend of a mate who said he was injured, yeah right!
have you ever rolled with someone who said they have an injury so you do the right thing to avoid that injury only to find that they roll as if they aren't injured at all and thump you around and all but injure you in the process? so much for being considerate - never again will i cut you slack. if you're injured - don't roll., if you roll dont tell me about your injury.

what do others think?

Ashilles
Beginner

PostPosted: 03 May 2011 16:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

im coming back from an injury. i really want to get rolling again but i don't want to rush it and do more damage. I still think it is important to let people know not to crank certain areas eg kneebars with a bad knee.

As far as someone saying they have an injury and then going at 100% they deserve what they get. i have a bad knee and if i went 100% with that knee and you accidently injure me trying to survive, that would be my fault not yours.

she-jj
Yellow with 2 Orange tips

PostPosted: 06 May 2011 06:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

i haven't been caught out yet like earl. I dont roll if Im that injured and if i do roll i think i take my chances. I suppose the simple thing is if you know someones injures earl, then politely decline to roll with them. Good luck on your comeback from injury Ashilles.

Black 4th Dan
Black 4th Dan

Club: the Academy

PostPosted: 19 May 2011 10:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

one can still roll hard if injuried

ie you have hurt you shoulder you are all good except if someone figure four you arm but you can still do everything else

the common way is use tape to indicate the sore part so people dont accidently tag it and its visible when rolling that that the injuryied limb

if injuried and taking it easy and just want to roll light tell partner most peopel are good

if faking or using injury to smash some one because they are going easy no way

PostPosted: 22 May 2011 18:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

the tape sounds like a good idea Animal but then it would also serve to give your opponents a target.

Black 4th Dan
Black 4th Dan

PostPosted: 31 May 2011 19:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

only if training with a numbskull

most people dont see a target but reminder of injury

if it old you had injury marked injury and you attacked injury i would bite you Evil

Green with 1 Blue tip
Green with 1 Blue tip

PostPosted: 20 Sep 2011 14:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. if you're injured and want to train, only train with those you trust to avoid having your injury targetted.
2. if the person you're training with is injured, start out respectful of their injury however if they dismiss your good intentions, match them to protect yourself and any subsequent injury is down to them.
3. if you dont want to get duped by a real or fake injury of your partner simply don't roll with injured people. it's no loss to you.

as for taping to show your injury i dont like that idea, i agree with shejj it just sets you up as a target for the mat bullies.

Yin Yang
she-jj

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2011 10:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
only if training with a numbskull

sadly there are numbskulls out there, that's what started this post.

whether your the injured party or non injured, i think it's up to us as individuals to decide who we roll with. If anyone isnt' comfortabel rollling with someone then they shouldn't have too. I know sometimes the instructor might "you roll with him" but if you know the person is injured and don't want to go through that whole thing like Earl, decline and the instructor should accept it.

Beginner

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2011 18:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the statue of limitations on a personal injury / medical malpractice case in California? I was told that it is 4 years from the date of injury? So is that the date that it happened, or the date that the injury from what happened set in ?

Animal
Black 4th Dan
Black 4th Dan

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2011 19:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

we have pretty good mats at the academy if someone sas they are injury we do our best to avoid injuried part

mat bullies usually get taken care of by the higher greades and if its a higher grade our coach sort them out fast

good news is the higher for the most part are not out to hurt any one
(and yes accidents do happen)

roll respectiful and other will return in kind

Green with 1 Blue tip
Green with 1 Blue tip

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2011 21:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chunkura, i think you might be on the wrong site.

That's good to know Animal. How does your club feel about those who "fake" an injury or are injured but roll as if they're not after asking for consideration for their injury.

I knew a guy years ago who trained in a different martial art and the code of the school was that they had to injure each other to show they knew the moves and also for the final grading it was a full on attack scenario on some unsuspecting person on a night out after the person being graded had been 'attacked for real' by other higher level students.

What do others think of that?

Yin Yang
Im Tapt
Orange
Orange

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2011 20:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've heard similar stories too CP, more in the stand up kickboxing styles of the 80's. dont know if it still happens now. basically if you're injured roll at your own peril.

Sea Tea
Brown
Brown

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2011 09:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Animal wrote:
roll respectiful and other will return in kind

Here here Animal, very ture words.

I have one potential area for concern though ( not aimed at any particular club, just offering a general scenario ).

What of the newbie or exisitng club member who has or is suffering particularly at the hands of a senior club member and is too scared to report incidents that have gone unseen because it is a senior member doing it.

Re the original issue of rolling with someone who says they're injured if you do the right thing by them and get stiffed you can call a stop to the roll at anytime by tapping or see it through and make a mental note not to roll with that person again injured or otherwise.

If you're injured again it's you're choice whether your roll. You can be selective about who you roll with ie only those you trust, chose not to say anything about injury and therfore don't complain if your injury is aggrevated or for ultimate safety dont roll while injured.

The journey is the reward
Kioz
Beginner

Club: Gracie Sydney
Styles: BJJ, Grappling, Muay Thai

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2012 12:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found that people may actually be legitimately injured but when the roll gets underway and the competitive nature of the two involved mixed in with a bit of adrenalin then the result can contradict what they initially asked for.

I’m guilty myself lol Oops

All the latest BJJ gis, kimonos, fight shorts, rashies and jiu jitsu clothing and its Australian owned and operated.

Storm Kimonos, Atama, Keiko Raca, Manto, Vulkan, Origin.

www.gihq.com
https://www.facebook.com/TheGIHQ
Post new topic      Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    DavesBJJ Forum Index » BJJ All times are UTC + 8 hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: