../index.php?sid=87608e94f0532dc27b120fe118d4eadd DavesBJJ Forum Index FAQ Register Log in
Calendar
Calendar Calendar
Fri 15 Dec 2017 Sat 16 Dec 2017 Sun 17 Dec 2017 Mon 18 Dec 2017 Tue 19 Dec 2017 Wed 20 Dec 2017 Thu 21 Dec 2017

My Diet!

Post new topic      Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    DavesBJJ Forum Index » Fitness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sMiller
White with 2 Yellow tips
White with 2 Yellow tips

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2005 11:55    Post subject: My Diet! Reply with quote

I'm still in the process of trying to lose weight, but I love flavor. By that I mean I can not feel hungry but feel like getting something tasty in my mouth (no innuendo). I need help with my diet. The more simple it is, the more likely I am to employ it properly but feel free to add anything you want. Hopefully a lot of other people will benefit from some diet info.

I'm 172cm and 92KG (207lbs).

At the moment I do two weight sessions a week and a few cardio sessions. My goal is to lose fat, 35-45lbs would be sweet. As well as increase my cardio as much as possible, mainly running and endurance marching with a pack. I don't necessarily want to lose strength though as I quite enjoy having a strength advantage over people.

General tips are always handy and I'm trying to work out how to implement the comments from Randy's website into my regime (not buying Lightforce because it'll cost US$108 to get it here) but a customised diet plan is the goal, i.e. have my diet written out for two weeks, follow it then make changes as needed for the next two weeks.

If I need to give out more info I'm quite happy to.

Sam

Orange with 2 Green tips
Orange with 2 Green tips

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2005 15:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good start is not to drink soft drinks (except now and then), they're nothing but sugar. If you need to go to the shop for snacks, walk there:if you can't be bothered walking, your body obviously doesn't need it.

sMiller
White with 2 Yellow tips
White with 2 Yellow tips

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2005 15:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure is. I'll cut and paste the info from Randy's site so that everyone else knows what I'm looking to implement into my life, how is the bit I need help with!

http://www.randycouture.tv

Notes from ?The Natural?
by Randy Couture, 11-29-04

Over the past two years there has been a lot of interest in the nutritional program I used to come down from the Heavyweight division and compete in the light heavyweight division. A special thanks to Joe Rogan for bringing up the greens in the UFC 44 vs. Tito Ortiz broadcast.

Although most folks never have to fight in a cage for 25 minutes. The can use these same principles to enhance the quality f their lives by improving endurance, performance and health. It is well known that certain foods have either an acid or alkaline effect on the body. Animal products, sugar, dairy and processed grains are all acid forming foods, while vegetables, especially green leafy vegetables are alkaline. Since the stress of training is also acid forming, my primary goal is to reduce the amount of acid build up in my body.

Our bodies regulate the pH of our blood and tissues closer than it regulates body temperature. We must maintain a slightly alkaline pH to survive. Hard training, stress, high protein or high sugar diets can cause build up o acid. While there are mechanisms in place to deal with this acid (it?s a natural by product). When there is an overload, peak performance and health will often suffer.

Three main areas I focus on in preparation for my fights.

1 - First is to increase the amount of energy rich live foods, in Vegas there is usually a trip to Whole foods to make sure I could continue right up to fight night. After making weight, I had a large green drink and lots of raw spinach and other greens.

2 - Second is to decrease the amount of acid forming foods while making sure I am still getting all the nutrients I need. This includes reducing red meat and chicken and eating more fish, almonds and some beans. All dairy is eliminated as well.

3 - The final component is to provide proper nutritional supplementation. I eliminated one of my carbohydrate replacement drinks and a few energy bars due to their high sugar content. Light Force greens are used daily along with some Flaxseed oil.

By including more alkaline foods into my diet and reducing acid forming foods, I felt better and experienced more energy. Believe it or not, I did not get

tired at all in my five round fight with Tito. This is a testament not only to proper nutrition but also to understanding and applying the correct training principles so I was able to peak at the right time.

My diet includes green vegetables with each meal. Almost every morning begins with fresh vegetables and an alkalizing Light Force green drink. Grilled fish, soba noodles, high energy pancakes, wheat grass shots, and fresh vegetables and Avocados on yeast free toast are also on the menu.

Here are a few things to try:

1 - Start your day several times a week with fresh or lightly steamed veggies. Cucumber, broccoli, green peppers, spinach, kale? Eat again when you get hungry or at least include the greens with whatever you?re going to eat for bre4akfast. I prefer to spread hummus on my veggies to help them go down better.

2 - Reduce the amount of red meat and poultry. If you do want to eat them, get them from an organic source. There are some great books written on how unhealthy the meat is in the country. Don?t sweat the protein issue, you need less than you may think. Eat almonds (which are very alkaline) and other nuts, seeds, and fish.

3 - Drink lots of water. You may need to drink around a gallon a day. Everyone is different and it depends on a number of factors from training to temperature.

4 - Include water rich foods with each meal. Back to the live foods again.

5 - Eliminate as much sugar from your diet as possible. Read labels, you?d be surprised where you?d find it. Soda is a major source and my hurt your conditioning.

6 - Add an alkalizing greens supplement to your water a few times a day. I use Light Force which is for sale at randycouture.tv or tqfc.com.

This is my nutritional program in a nutshell (no pun intended)! I try to maintain this better than 80% of the time, and it gets especially strict in the peaking phase 10 weeks before I fight. A special thanks goes out to Dr. Ryan Parsons, who not only developed the Light Force supplement, but has generously provided me with support in the way of nutritional advice, chiropractic care, and sports massage as well as friendship. I sincerely hope that you gain as much as I have from this knowledge. Best of luck!

The Natural

Sam

Blue with 2 Purple tips
Blue with 2 Purple tips

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2005 21:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting that sMiller it is interesting and i'll try to do some of it but,

Quote:
Almost every morning begins with fresh vegetables and an alkalizing Light Force green drink. Grilled fish, soba noodles, high energy pancakes, wheat grass shots, and fresh vegetables and Avocados on yeast free toast are also on the menu.

Man, I work - start early, finish late you knoe the kind of thing. To have a breaky like that just isn't feasable. Yeah I know - if its important toya you'll do it. But I dont relish ( no pun ) the idea of getting up at 4.30 just to prepare my breaky. All right for people who maybe work 9 - 5 or dont have to work at all.

A diet must be simple and easy to fit int your lifestyle otherwise I htink you lose interest.

Everything in moderation and Ive heard that "no carbs after 2.00pm" is meant to be a good idea to adopt. But I love my mashed spud and chips at tea time Thats Nice

The Apprentice
Blue
Blue

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2005 06:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man thanks for that. I have kept a copy...very informative stuff. Cool

Purple with 1 Brown tip
Purple with 1 Brown tip

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2005 06:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

:shock: My idea of eating healthy is not getting junk food that extra twice a week Mr. Green

Cheers,

TapT

Animal
Black 4th Dan
Black 4th Dan

Club: the Academy

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2005 10:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

here is some advice from me as a gym instructor

15 -20 plant foods a day ( vegs, fruit, grains, cereal, rice, wholewheat bread, wholewheat pasta,nuts and seeds)

1/3 protien 2/3 plant on plate

5-6 small meals a day

fruit or 1/2 protein bar make great snacks

8-10 glasses of water

90% base food (plants) 10% bonus food ( red meat, dairy,chocolate, jam,)

low fat, low salt, low sugar

avoid empty calories ( softdrinks, etc) one can of softdrink approximately 1/2 daily calorie intake, no nutrutional value

low H.I - human interference, the lower the human interference the better

low alcohol

very simple eating

remember you need sleep and exercise ( the min is 20 pr day 3 days a week)

i recommend 5-6 day a week

for a quick work out ned 15 minutes

3-5 minutes warm ups

4 minutes high energy aerobic training eg 30 sec jog 30 sec sprint so on so

3 minutes resistance training

2 minute core exercises abs and back

1 minutes stretching

need a longer workout repeat 4-3-2-1 workout as many set as you need

Black 3rd Dan
Black 3rd Dan

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2005 15:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, I eat lots of junk food, infact I have 1 Red Bull every second day now (sometimes 1 a day) and eat lots of chocolate as well.

I do have lots of Boost Juice drinks, plus normally 1 or 2 shots of coffee as well.

I think that the body needs fat to lubricate the joints especially with what grapplers do.

Sugars are white poison, but if you need to have them, make sure you do enough to burn it off

Train cardio in the morning and weights as well. Never train on a full stomach and always have breakfast

Protein is great as a supplement and as a meal replacement every now and then

Never go more then 90 minutes after a work out without putting some protein back into your body, a work out is what you make of it

www.mixedmartialarts.com.au
www.bjjwa.com
eminem
Brown
Brown

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2005 17:18    Post subject: Re: My Diet! Reply with quote

sMiller wrote:
General tips are always handy and I'm trying to work out how to implement the comments from Randy's website into my regime (not buying Lightforce because it'll cost US$108 to get it here) but a customised diet plan is the goal, i.e. have my diet written out for two weeks, follow it then make changes as needed for the next two weeks.

If I need to give out more info I'm quite happy to.

Sam

I have some lightforce and the team quest video and complementary training manual.

I must say its not a bad set at all.

.....DJ Green Lantern
Sea Tea
Brown
Brown

PostPosted: 07 May 2005 22:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a link which while it relates to triathletes looks like it may contain some useful info

http://www.triathletepro.com/nutrition.html

The journey is the reward
Post new topic      Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    DavesBJJ Forum Index » Fitness All times are UTC + 8 hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: