../index.php?sid=f7e767f85433b7a51849c3ed620c12a2 DavesBJJ Forum Index FAQ Register Log in
Calendar
Calendar Calendar
Sun 10 Dec 2017 Mon 11 Dec 2017 Tue 12 Dec 2017 Wed 13 Dec 2017 Thu 14 Dec 2017 Fri 15 Dec 2017 Sat 16 Dec 2017

Fitness - Is there a limit

Post new topic      Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    DavesBJJ Forum Index » Fitness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whirlwind
Green with 1 Blue tip
Green with 1 Blue tip

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2005 19:10    Post subject: Fitness - Is there a limit Reply with quote

Curious if you think there is a limit to how fit you can get. Can your body only become so fit, can your lung capacity only be so large. Is there a ceiling to your stamina. Can your heart only pump so much blood around. In other words is your fitness pre determined by your genes and limited by your body's genetic capacity. :eh:

MaliceJiuJitsu
Orange with 1 Green tip
Orange with 1 Green tip

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2005 16:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it would have an absolute limit but that limit would only likily be reached by elite professional athletes the likes of Lance Armstrong and co. Genes may have some effect but motivation and determination would have the most impact. For the rest of us we could be fitter if we only could be bothered to be.

UBTappin
Black 3rd Dan
Black 3rd Dan

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2005 18:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, never thought of the limits....

I think that there would be limits, determined by conditioning, genes, will power, access to training routines and gear, supplements and also people to puch you harder and harder...

I think that you would have to be an exception to get close to your limits

www.mixedmartialarts.com.au
www.bjjwa.com
Animal
Black 4th Dan
Black 4th Dan

Club: the Academy

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2005 21:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

most people would not get even close to their limit

most people could do more, improve
be fitter through excercise and eating habits

limits nowdays

time, money and motivation

Black 3rd Dan
Black 3rd Dan

PostPosted: 07 Jun 2005 10:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

how much Red Bull would you need to reach your limit then Question

www.bjjwa.com
Animal
Black 4th Dan
Black 4th Dan

PostPosted: 07 Jun 2005 12:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

the answer my friend is down at fraggle rock or under the sea with sponge bob square pants

Black 3rd Dan
Black 3rd Dan

PostPosted: 07 Jun 2005 14:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

now I think that your last post here is just padding Animal.

I think that mentally your boundaries are limitless, but physically I think that there are limits

www.bjjwa.com
The Apprentice
Blue
Blue

PostPosted: 07 Jun 2005 15:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting concept...too many variables but. If there were limitations why is it that we are still beating our own records in speed, endurance etc. I know modern technology helps but we are still beating ourselves continuosly eg swimming.
The thing with genetics is that the combinations are almost infinite, just like music.
hmmmmmmm Thinking

Black 4th Dan
Black 4th Dan

PostPosted: 07 Jun 2005 23:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

a lot of limits are mental when you overcome them you rise to even greater places

major jumps seam to be to solid colours and a mental leap is the first step

Purple
Purple

PostPosted: 09 Jun 2005 20:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is a limit but i dont even think elite athletes would go close to the limit. LIke the brain, we only use one thenth of it or something like that. Apprentice said techology is helping us beat our records etc. but you can say that technologly isn't technological enough to allow us to reach our limit. whcih means we have to use more of our brain to develop technology so we can reach our fitness limit. Hmmmm .......

UBTappin
Black 3rd Dan
Black 3rd Dan

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2005 10:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that you can then bring into the equation the element of 'Evolution' and that we seem to develop slightly better (or worse) every next generation.

Compare the athletes of today to the past, and include better training premises, better equipment, better training clothes and also better supplements too.

Sport is now a much bigger part of everyday life and we are all competitive as well.

I think that a limit is only set by our imagination, but physically a human muscle can only lift so much before it tears or breaks down. This means that there is also limits to us physically as well.

www.bjjwa.com
BigHeavyJ
White with 2 Yellow tips
White with 2 Yellow tips

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2005 20:20    Post subject: Regression in performance Reply with quote

An examination of statistical data of the performance of elite athletes has allowed sports scientists to predict maximum future performances for multiple sports. For example if you plot on a graph the fastest 100m sprint times from the early 1900's till now the line is moving toward a ultimate of 9.48 seconds in 500 years time (see: http://condellpark.com/kd/sprintlogistic.htm ). This is true for all sports where the result is easily measurable (swimming, cycling, throwing, jumping etc). The same logic applies to grappling and martial arts (surely). So a future that allows martial artisits to fly across the room like in many Kung Fu movies is mathematicaly as well as physically impossible. As far as fitness goes there are many athletes who are achieving their best performances in swimming, running, rowing etc after mid-life (See many articles in the excellent resource http://www.crossfit.com ) So your greatest limiting factor I believe is your own discipline and mental conditioning. Your physical abilities will be able to keep one step in front of your will, but of course only to a point. Either way you can be much better than you are now.

BigHeavyJ

whirlwind
Green with 1 Blue tip
Green with 1 Blue tip

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2005 19:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, Welcome to the forum BigHeavyJ

Couple of interesting links, thanks

and at the end of the day you're right, we can be better than we are now ( providing we havent' already reached our limit Wink )

The sprint prediction of 9.45 sec being the limit, I know this will sound at odds with the post I started, but I find it hard to grasp that in the year 2162 we will only be reaching 9.45 sec for the 100 mts. Especially when I heard onteh news tonight that some guy just cracked 9.78 (I think it was )

It seems the greatest drop occurs within the first 100 years and then it evens out. I wonder is these figures take in to account the fact that human body will also be changing and therefore we may actually get lower than 9.45 sec. Hmmmm Thinking

Post new topic      Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    DavesBJJ Forum Index » Fitness All times are UTC + 8 hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: