../index.php?sid=f89d9d46d07fee71bad661cee5c9bc74 DavesBJJ Forum Index FAQ Register Log in
Calendar
Calendar Calendar
Fri 15 Dec 2017 Sat 16 Dec 2017 Sun 17 Dec 2017 Mon 18 Dec 2017 Tue 19 Dec 2017 Wed 20 Dec 2017 Thu 21 Dec 2017

energy drinks are in but......
Goto page1, 2  Next

Post new topic      Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    DavesBJJ Forum Index » Fitness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animal
Black 4th Dan
Black 4th Dan

Club: the Academy

PostPosted: 30 Jan 2007 21:55    Post subject: energy drinks are in but...... Reply with quote

energy drinks like red bull, v, xs energy and many others are in

but

what effect long term are they having on a person body

did you know, tha poweraide and gatorade are making people fat
why you ask
designed for a elctrolyle replacement however approximately one hur hard intense physical sport approx requirement 250 ml plus in following hours maybe a litlle more 100 ml etc
now drinks come in 600 ml bottle and people consume the whole thing and some time a second

and some people drink them and they are not even doing sport

now energy drinks many people are consuming one sometime even more a day because they need the boost ( like a coffee addiction)

and many contain caffeine ( usaully in the form of taurine)
guarana, gingseng, herba nd vitamin b can also be added

did you know this drinks were design for battlefield conditions
to cut down on day rations and provide boost, concentrated energy
for long mission of 10 -15 hour lengths

so do you drink energy drinks
how often
do they work
do you need them all the time
and what efgfect on you training do they have

Green
Green

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2007 06:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

i only drink Red Bull sugar free for all my boosting needs hehe :rainbowhappy:

Black 3rd Dan
Black 3rd Dan

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2007 13:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

got to admit that I am a Red Bull aholic......

I normally hit 2 a day but have cut it down to 1 every 2 or 3 days now...

I actually like the taste and don't get too much of a hit from it...

www.mixedmartialarts.com.au
www.bjjwa.com
wynjitsu
Green
Green

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2007 14:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is a new drink called MOTHER that is pretty good as well got all the good stuff in it not too bad of a taste Mr. Green

Black 4th Dan
Black 4th Dan

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2007 07:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

so if you are not getting a hit you are taking empty calories

Purple
Purple

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2007 08:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would have though this type of product red bull etc with caffeine would be bad with lots of physical excersise because of there diuretic affect

UBTappin
Black 3rd Dan
Black 3rd Dan

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2007 10:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mother is not a bad drink, it has Acia in it (Brazilian Berry that grows in the amazon - I got addicted to this in Brazil and was so happy when Boost Juice started the Acia Recovery - you HAVE to try this drink guys!!!)

Red Bull just gives me that happy feeling and i like the taste...I still work hard at training when I take it and it does help me get a bit of a sweat up.

Never thought of that Grundy, I dont tend to get to dehydrated on it, but I down heaps of water when wrestling tho....

www.mixedmartialarts.com.au
www.bjjwa.com
Magilla Gorilla
Blue
Blue

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2007 19:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deja Vu

dont agree with these drinks at all. They are just a money spinner for the manufacturers. DOnt be fooled by the names either in most cases theres a Coke of Pepsi behind them, cant recall the names off hand. They use healthy sporty people to advertise the product but the truth is theyre bad for you. Full of sugar and cafene and cause the market them so dam well people every day people who dont need the product even if they did what they were supposed to do, drink them because it "fashionable"

Dangerous for those with high blood pressure or diabaettes because of the high cafene and sugar, which they dont cleary tell you. Not to mention aspartme which opens up a whole other set of potential health issues. Man this stuff is BAD for you. these health drinks should have a health warning on them.

you stop when the gorilla is tired!"
Robert Strauss
Kong Han
Green
Green

PostPosted: 02 Feb 2007 09:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with Magilla Gorilla.

Pretty much all soft drinks is bad. But they just taste ooooooo so good, don't they Wink If you really wanna know how much sugar is in a can just open it and stale it till the fizz go off. Man you can hardly sip it at all. Waaaay too sweet. Just that the fizz covered it.

Why o why tasty things are always so bad for us :x

The only time I think we should be drinking it is during workouts itself. The body will use up a lot of simple sugars and the caffeine can be used to perk up the nervous system. I don't think the diuretic effects of caffeine would work that fast especially if you keep hydrated during the duration.

But who would have such a discipline to take them during workouts only. An ice cold soft drink tastes almost orgasmic during a hot summer afternoon Mr. Green

Purple
Purple

PostPosted: 02 Feb 2007 10:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

some caffiene facts
Purpose of Caffeine in Athletics
Caffeine has many specific benefits for different types of athletes. Though much of the research on caffeine in athletics is inconclusive, there are many athletes that believe the substance can enhance their physical as well as mental performance. It is supposed that caffeine can improve the athlete?s endurance in sports where long-term stamina is needed. These sports include cycling, running, and even soccer. In an experiment to study the effects of caffeine as an ergogenic aid, 6 regular caffeine users were monitored while they exercised until exhaustion. During this double blind, placebo test, the athletes were given pills an hour before the exercise trial. The results were that those who received caffeine before the exercise performed more efficiently than those who received the placebo. (Graham, 1998) This shows the importance of caffeine in endurance sports such as cycling, running, and soccer which require a great deal of physical stamina in order to compete successfully. Studies also show that caffeine has very little affect on athletes requiring quick burst of energy such as sprinters and swimmers. Also caffeine has been known to decrease fatigue in athletes, which plays a physical as well as psychological role in the performance of an athlete.

Caffeine?s mental appeal is just as trendy as its physical purpose. Caffeine has been proven to stimulate the central nervous system. Caffeine stimulates the Central Nervous System at high levels, like the medulla and cortex, and even has the ability to reach the spinal cord in larger doses. The effect of caffeine in the cortex is a clearer thought process and also can rid the body of fatigue. This gives people a greater ability of concentration for 1-3 hours. For athletes competing in sports where quick thinking and rapid reactions are necessary, caffeine can provide a huge edge. However, these results are much more inconsistent than the experiments done on caffeine in endurance sports.

Diuretic Effect
Caffeine consumption has been proven to cause major changes occurring to the kidneys known as the diuretic effect. Caffeine increases the blood flow in the kidneys and at the same time inhibits the reabsorption of sodium and water. Also caffeine has been known to weaken the detrusor muscles in the bladder, which provokes the need to urinate. This poses many problems to athletes participating in long-term endurance activities. On one hand this can cause the need to urinate, but combined with other aspects such as dehydration and abdominal cramping, can also prove detrimental to the athlete. Studies have shown that the diuretic effect should not present any problems to athletes who consume moderate caffeine quantities before exercise.

(http://www.cosic.org/caffeine/diuretic.html) In a study to evaluate the amount of excessive sweating in long distance running, 9 athletes were given 450mg of caffeine either with 30 minutes of exercise or without. The running resulted in a decrease in the urine flow and also a decrease in the amount of caffeine that was excreted in the urine. This supports the belief that caffeine should not pose a threat of urinary problems to endurance athletes. (Barnard, 1992)

Conclusion
In conclusion, caffeine?s use as an ergogenic aid has been proven to increase physical endurance but has many side effects and precautions. However, caffeine?s use for short-term endurance appears to have no affect on the athlete. Many sources seem to support these two statements, but it seems that the general consensus is for athletes to avoid the use of caffeine. The International Olympic Committee treats caffeine as any other illegal drug, which poses a serious question on how

advantageous the substance is to athletes? Caffeine poses many potential side effects that can affect one?s lifestyle. It is important that the user understands their caffeine limitations before habitual use, especially athletes. There are many factors that shape caffeine?s effect on the individual. Factors such as metabolism, consumption, and frequency of use should all be taken into account before the use of caffeine in athletics.

study done thru vanderbilt university

Earl
Blue with 2 Purple tips
Blue with 2 Purple tips

PostPosted: 02 Feb 2007 20:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm no elite athlete so dont need the benefits of caffeen. I dont have those V and red bull drinks. I'll stick to gatorade when i train and fruit juice and milo Thats Nice

Animal
Black 4th Dan
Black 4th Dan

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2007 13:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

but remember a gatorade bootle should last 2 -3 days

save a heap onmoney that way so you buy more chooclate bars lol Thats Nice

Blue with 2 Purple tips
Blue with 2 Purple tips

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2007 19:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

after r eading Grundys info i think it suggests that like with most thins\gs its a case of "in moderation". me i stick with water and that powerade powder.

oh, by the way whats aspartme??

wynjitsu
Green
Green

PostPosted: 04 Feb 2007 07:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think aspartme is nutrasweet or some fake sugar crap it's in stuff like sugarfree gum and diet coke bad bad stuff apparently :unhappy:

Black 4th Dan
Black 4th Dan

PostPosted: 04 Feb 2007 16:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

sugar free, chock to the gunwalls full of chenicals

did you know that one can (not bottle but can) of soft drink is half your calorie intake for a day

Blue
Blue

PostPosted: 07 Feb 2007 16:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
However, caffeine?s use for short-term endurance appears to have no affect on the athlete.

does this mean you can dose up on the stuff before an event ( thats not tested) reap the benefits with no side affects? What amount of cafene is needed to give any benefit.

I still think they should mention in these studies that cafene is bad for those with high blood pressure.

you stop when the gorilla is tired!"
Robert Strauss
Animal
Black 4th Dan
Black 4th Dan

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2007 17:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes drink five can run or perform really fast and not a banded substance

could work

Blue with 2 Purple tips
Blue with 2 Purple tips

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2007 17:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Animal why should a bottle of gatorade last 2 -3 days? Any Im no expert but isn't cafeene a diuretic so why take a drink with it in to quench and replace fuids if you only emplty fluids out. seems crazy to me Silly

Animal
Black 4th Dan
Black 4th Dan

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2007 08:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

you only want 200 -300 mls of gateraide to assist recovery and electrolyte absorbtion

and they come in 600ml bottles

Purple
Purple

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2007 12:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's intersting Animal. Do we top up with plain old water for the rest. And should you drink the 200 ml of gatorade at the end of your session as recovery or during?

Post new topic      Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    DavesBJJ Forum Index » Fitness All times are UTC + 8 hours
Goto page1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: