../index.php?sid=bef99c136476bd589f07b8a970f512ff DavesBJJ Forum Index FAQ Register Log in
Calendar
Calendar Calendar
Fri 15 Dec 2017 Sat 16 Dec 2017 Sun 17 Dec 2017 Mon 18 Dec 2017 Tue 19 Dec 2017 Wed 20 Dec 2017 Thu 21 Dec 2017

Strengthening the Wrists
Goto page1, 2  Next

Post new topic      Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    DavesBJJ Forum Index » Fitness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sea Tea
Brown
Brown

PostPosted: 20 Sep 2003 19:58    Post subject: Strengthening the Wrists Reply with quote

I find that sometimes when going for chokes I can't apply the correct pressure or flex my wrists to finish the choke off due to a sharp pain in my wrists.

Boo Hoo I am assuming this is because I either have weak wrists or I have stressed the tendons previously.

Is there a way to strengthen them. Wink

The journey is the reward
WestOz
Green
Green

PostPosted: 21 Sep 2003 06:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sea Tea,

Grippers is what you need, they strengthen the forearms and increase grip strength, which also helps with the wrist.

I bought some York soft handled ones, they are O.K. but if you want some good ones with some serious poundage check out Captains of Crush Grippers, these things look incredible. Unfortunately I have not found any available in Perth, you can order them online at Ironmind.com but Ironmind seems to have overly expensive prices.

Couple of other exercises that might be good is doing pullups using a belt, i.e you wrap the belt around the bar, grab the belt and do pullups.

One more. If you have a close look on UBT's mat area you will see a weight attached by a piece of blue rope to a piece of pvc pipe. The idea of that is to twist the pipe so you raise the weight to the top. Try holding it outstretched to bring your shoulders in on the action.

WestOz

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died."
Sea Tea
Brown
Brown

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2003 07:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

:rainbowhappy: Thanks West Oz

I appreciate those suggestions, gotta do something, some days after training I can hardly lift a cup of coffee or a file at work without my wrists hurting.

I will certainly look at the third suggestion as I've got the stuff at home to set this up. "Grippers" I'm sure if I look hard enough I can dig a set of those up too but I didn't realise they would benefit the wrists, I thought they were for forearm and finger strength. When I find them I will give them a go too.

Might give the pull ups a miss, not strong enough to lift my own weight (Something else I have to work on :smiley: )

WestOz
Green
Green

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2003 08:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could be wrong on this but it is my understanding that there are not really any major muscles in the wrist, all wrist movement therefore strength is controlled by the forearms, there by increasing forearm strength you will increase wrist strength. Question

I am no expert so I could be wrong on this.

WestOz

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died."
tantrum
Green with 2 Blue tips
Green with 2 Blue tips

Styles: Couch Jitsu

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2003 17:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Sea Tea,

Do you work with computers?

I used to have sore wrists all the time (especially on the mouse-hand). Then I started doing/having to do pushups on my wrists, instead of on my hands.

So, the palms are facing upwards and the fingers pointing 90 degrees away from your body, if you can imagine that.

20 of them a day, a few times a week and eventually my wrist problems were solved.

Another pushup I saw was as above, but the fingers point towards each other, underneath your body. That causes an excruciating shooting pain in my right wrist, so I'm not so keen on that one.

Sea Tea
Brown
Brown

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2003 18:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gday Hi Tantrum

Actually I do. I have a wrist support at the keyboard.

:rainbow: Thanks for these tips. I don't mind push ups ( or my version of them ) so I will give them a go.

I'm back, I just tried to do a couple but I think my visualization must have been wrong.

For the first version, can I keep my forearms on the ground otherwise I'm in big trouble. And the second version ............. well I fell over Oh No

Oh, while I do normal full push ups I could only manage the first version doing them on my knees.

I will persevere along with West Oz's suggestions and hopefully my problem will be over .................. and I can start choking some of you out there :smiley:

Thanks guys

tantrum
Green with 2 Blue tips
Green with 2 Blue tips

Styles: Couch Jitsu

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2003 11:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a bit of browsing for info on this pushup. One guy said it was a "backwrist pushup". Seems like it is well known in Hapkido.

He said it was dangerous for people under 18 or with family history of arthritis. Another guy said it caused him to have sore wrists, so who knows?

They recommended knuckle pushups, but personally I get the shooting pain with them.

I think the backwrist one you did wrong. The hands point sideways out, kind of like a seal. The wait is on the back of the wrist (not the hand). Anyway, it'll probably hurt when you start anyway. It worked for me!

Magilla Gorilla
Blue
Blue

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2003 15:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reckon grippers are the way to go. Theyre safe and easy. The pushups sound interesting but I reckon theyre better to do for strengthening if you dont' have any injuries or weaknesses. If your wrists are sore I wouldn't do pushups. :smiley:

you stop when the gorilla is tired!"
Robert Strauss
Arecsa
Blue
Blue

PostPosted: 05 Oct 2003 22:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this little device through www.bjj.com.au

http://www.gyrotwister.com.au/

Something like this could be what you are looking for.

Brown
Brown

PostPosted: 05 Oct 2003 23:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Save cash and use the gizmo WESTOZ was talking about. If you have bad shoulders get your arms in and elbows bent. That thing will BLOW your forearms. Not many people can do continous reps on it.

.....DJ Green Lantern
Sea Tea
Brown
Brown

PostPosted: 10 Oct 2003 11:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clap Thanks Arecsa and Eminem

Arecsa I have checked out the website and the little device looks OK but I will pass on purchasing one just yet, but thanks for the research.

Quote:
If you have a close look on UBT's mat area you will see a weight attached by a piece of blue rope to a piece of pvc pipe.

Eminem is this the gizmo you were referring to.

I have decided to give this a go and the grippers ( found my old pair ) just got to knock up the pipe and weight thingy.

Thanks to everyone for their input, much appreciated.
Happy rolling Happy Dance

eminem
Brown
Brown

PostPosted: 10 Oct 2003 16:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes thats correct

.....DJ Green Lantern
Magilla Gorilla
Blue
Blue

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2003 12:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sea Tea ,

Re the gyrotwister mentioned by Arecsa, There is a competition in the latest Blitz where you can win one. Might be worth a shot Happy Dance

Secret but don't tell anyone else or theyll all be trying to win it Laughing

you stop when the gorilla is tired!"
Robert Strauss
eminem
Brown
Brown

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2003 16:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do people think when they see a new product advertised like the gyrotwister.

Personally I want to rush out and buy one to see whats its all about for myself and follow the alledged "hype"!

What do you guys think?

.....DJ Green Lantern
Arecsa
Blue
Blue

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2003 16:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be interested in trying one out, I dont know if I want to spend $50 + shipping to find out I dont like it though.

I might have to check out this competition, nothing like getting something for free :D.

Orange
Orange

PostPosted: 05 Feb 2004 08:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I had a look at these some time ago. Looks pretty fun but I think I'd buy one, use it a few times and then dump it. Neutral

Black 3rd Dan
Black 3rd Dan

PostPosted: 06 Feb 2004 09:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

hhmmmmm......the choke thing might be due to incorrect technique and not using your full body to apply the choke....

Wrist strength....my little twisty thing helps my fore arms and my wrists.

I wouldn't waste money on the device, though M&M may have a different opinion, and I know that he does a lot of research into the devices and how they work Paranoid

Even beter, get a broom stick, hold it at the end away from the brush, extend your arm at 90 degrees from your body...with your arm straight, try to turn your wrist only and the broom stick, very hard to do....to make it easier....hold closer to the brush

www.mixedmartialarts.com.au
www.bjjwa.com
Animal
Black 4th Dan
Black 4th Dan

Club: the Academy

PostPosted: 10 May 2004 22:57    Post subject: Animal Reply with quote

Wrist curls both with palm facing up and down are great
Also hanging on to chin up bar until your hands give way or holding dumbbells until the same happens ( warning in the gym dont drop weight - gym users hate that) gripping plates smooth side out plus large can or pots that you can just grip with finger tips(been used for thousnads of years) allows you to add extra weight either water, sand or rocks. I have been researching wrist strength because it seem to be a weak point in my game.

eminem
Brown
Brown

PostPosted: 11 May 2004 10:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is an article on this in the recent blitz mag.

.....DJ Green Lantern
UBTappin
Black 3rd Dan
Black 3rd Dan

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2004 21:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blitz seems to be reading the forum and basing its magazine on the threads posted on here.....

Blitz magazine again...I am really going to have to grab a copy and read it for a change.

www.mixedmartialarts.com.au
www.bjjwa.com
Post new topic      Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    DavesBJJ Forum Index » Fitness All times are UTC + 8 hours
Goto page1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: