../index.php?sid=31dbd3f0c217dd87f0a0b7b38d778afb DavesBJJ Forum Index FAQ Register Log in
Calendar
Calendar Calendar
Thu 13 Dec 2018 Fri 14 Dec 2018 Sat 15 Dec 2018 Sun 16 Dec 2018 Mon 17 Dec 2018 Tue 18 Dec 2018 Wed 19 Dec 2018

Children in cage fights

Post new topic      Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    DavesBJJ Forum Index » MMA
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Couch Potato
Green with 1 Blue tip
Green with 1 Blue tip

PostPosted: 22 Sep 2011 19:38    Post subject: Children in cage fights Reply with quote

Wow!! i'll admit im in two minds about this, i dont wholly disagree but nor do i totally agree with it. Two 8 year olds in england going at it hammer and tongs in a cage fight. Naturally it's causing a bit of controvesy in England and i guess in time around the world.

One thing that does concern me is that there isn't any head protection. One clip i saw shows on kid ini the others guard so he picks him up and slams him. We have footy players losing their life thorugh head clashes on the field so i shudder to think what damage is being done to these young kids brains

Check it out for yourself, what are your thoughts?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2011/sep/21/eight-year-old-children-cage- fight-preston

Yin Yang
she-jj
Yellow with 2 Orange tips
Yellow with 2 Orange tips

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2011 16:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

The video is a bit daunting but then again we have young ones competing in local bjj comps. No punches or kicks were thrown. Apart from the surface being harder than jigsaw mats i think its OK. Im sure there is full medical attention on hand if required. I guess what makes it more frightening is because its IN A CAGE. put the same two boys on jigsaw mats in the local gym and it would be viewed differently. The atmoshpere though certianly seemed a bit seedy i couldnt help thinking bets were being laid on the side as to who would win and that changes the context of the fight in my opinion.

Brown
Brown

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2011 16:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

interesting that when you view the you tube footage now the boys faces have been blurred, they weren't when i first saw it.

My speakers are broken so i haven't heard the commentry however just watching the footage it looked like any kids bout at a bjj comp. They both seemed to know what they were doing so with that in mind i dont think it's anything to be concerened about.

That said, the walk out to the cage for the bout seemd to be hyped up and I'm personally not keen on that for kids so young.

Couch Potato, we do have footy players suffering head injuries in footy games, footy games that kids as young these two play also so should we ban footy for under 16's? Maybe head protection should be worn by the kids in the bouts.

Does anyone know if this was the only bout and was it as a "demo" on an otherwise adult fight card?

The journey is the reward
Animal
Black 4th Dan
Black 4th Dan

Club: the Academy

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2011 19:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

under supervision and with training fine

Green with 1 Blue tip
Green with 1 Blue tip

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2011 21:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shejj i think your right. the cage does seem to add a different dimension to the contest and may be make it seem worse than it is but i'm still concerned about head injury.

I do agree Animal that with training and proper supervision it's OK.

Do they hold Cage Events with Kids in it here in Perth or Austrlalia for that matter?

Yin Yang
MonkeyMagic
White
White

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2011 16:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's all bullshjt hype, that was a grappling match only. I don't know if the reporters are really that stupid and couldn't work out why they weren't punching eachother, but only wrestling. or whether they're deliberatly misleading the public to cause controversy and sell papers.

MonkeyMagic
White
White

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2011 17:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think if 2 guys were playing marbles inside a cage, dumbass reporters will call them cage fighters.

Shejj: the mats in the cage are generally softer than jigsaw mats,well, springier anyway. It hurts less being slammed in a cage or ring then on those jigsaw mats. Just dont tell bjj organisers that- they might make a bjj tournament in a cage and before you know it bjj will be banned for it's brutality

Couch potato: Evolution puts on shows where kids fight mma. They don't go full on though, these 2 kids are training partners there, its halfway between a demo and a fight. they wear all the protective gear and have a go- punches and kicks. Sad thing is, they're more technical and entertaining than most of the adult fights. There next show is on in a couple of weeks if your interested

Sea Tea
Brown
Brown

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2011 08:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkey Magic, you're probably on the money about about creating controvesy to sell papers, sadly not all of what the media sector delivers us is truth and fact, there's always the smoke and mirrors element.

I guess if the cage is elevated like a pro boxing ring then the floor could/would be springier, I've only rolled in a cage on a concrete floor with a base similar to wrestling mats and to date haven't been slammed (fingers crossed Smile )

Could you post details of your up and coming event for those of us that would liek to check it out - thanks.

The journey is the reward
Post new topic      Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    DavesBJJ Forum Index » MMA All times are UTC + 8 hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: